Other Pages

Sunday 23 February 2020

Taking communion - hygiene

I have never particularly liked taking Holy Communion. It just happens that, as an organist or choir director, I have usually managed to receive communion early; before the congregation and the choir. This has meant that the chalice has not passed many lips and not too much saliva can have found its way into the communion wine. I have not had communion for a very long time as it is not celebrated at the school chapel where I preside.

When I fill in as an organist during the holidays (wherever it is) I do not go to receive, but that is another story.

This post has to do with advice read out at the church where I played today and all over the county, if not the country. The last time anything like this happened it was as a result of the fear of AIDS. Back then there was the silly advice that 'germs' cannot live on the silverware from which communion vessels are made. I ask you!

Today the advice has reasonable parts: no tincture, the host NOT to placed directly into the mouth of receivers but into their hands. Also, when exchanging the Peace (which I hate anyway!) the right hand is to be used for shaking hands, reserving the left one for receiving the host at communion. This is silly. I am right handed. Were I to receive communion I would - as I have always done - place my right hand over my left.

I am afraid that I do not trust people and hygiene. Stay away!


No comments:

Post a Comment