Other Pages

Friday 10 April 2020

I am a curmudgeon

So, we have the weekly clap for the NHS started by Annemarie Plas (if that is right. See here). I am all for solidarity and have my own reasons to be grateful to the NHS as my one (!) blog reader will know.

I have not clapped yet, but felt a little guilty last night as my next door neighbour - who is a nurse - was outside her door clapping as I closed my curtains.

I am uncomfortable, generally speaking, doing what others tell me to do just because 'everyone is doing it'. OK I do share things on Facebook if I think they amuse me or may amuse my 20 or so friends on there. I do not repost things if they say "Let's see how many people will repost this" or "I bet this doesn't get reposted". Isn't that moral blackmail?

No, the worst thing about the NHS clap is that it has stopped just being a clap. It seems to be an excuse to make a load of noise. Well, if you want to bang a saucepan so folk can hear you that is one thing. Around here, there the Clap seems to have turned into an opportunity to get out amplifiers and sing songs loudly. Sorry, but this invades my privacy. And what is the point of the fireworks? Luckily I have only seen these on the local Facebook page but I have heard the general racket.

I am happy for people to continue to clap but I do not think one should feel pressured into doing so. I just hold the NHS workers in my thoughts. I do not pray, I merely appreciate what we have in this country.

Bah, humbug.

No comments:

Post a Comment