Other Pages

Friday 16 December 2022

Emotions

I cannot help who I am and I feel various emotions as situations evolve. I feel annoyed when a person who (I feel) ought to be in touch more frequently simply ignores me. I am likely to be jealous when the same person spends more time with a 'rival' than they do with me.

If I dare to say anything about our relationship being a case of this person merely ticking a box every now and then (birthday, Christmas etc.), I am accused of being passive aggressive: I suppose I get that from my parents. I should, I think, be able to express my feelings for if one cannot express them to family, what is the point of anything?

People can hurt you when they may not mean to do so but the hurt is real. It can develop into resentment.

Religion tells us that we are wicked to feel certain things and jealousy. We're told that jealousy is a fruit of the flesh (Galatians 5:21), an antonym of love (1 Corinthians 13:4), a symptom of pride (1 Timothy 6:4), a catalyst for conflict (James 3:16), and a mark of unbelievers (Romans 1:29).

Well, I'm sorry, but do I not have a right to feel wronged?

Apparently religion helps us to control our feelings. It is an article worth a read.

The Buddha said: ‘All life is suffering’ and most of us past a certain age can only agree. See also what the article says about sorrow.

I don't feel any better really.

No comments:

Post a Comment