Other Pages

Thursday 16 July 2020

The novelty has worn off

When I discovered Ringing Room (RR) I was dead keen. I joined a Facebook (FB) Group on which practices were advertised and I met some nice people. I invited several as friends on Facebook.

When I gained confidence with RR, Zoom, Google Meet, Jitsi and whatever, I organised practices of my own and people turned up. However, we did not spend time on the things I wanted to ring because too many people turned up and I did not want to keep people waiting. The Accidental Ringer has mentioned this.

My next step was to organise private practices to which I only invited my FB ringing friends. This worked OK but still more than 6 turned up and I felt I was denying some a ring. There must be many private practices going on. An early one I went to was organised just like they would in a tower.

The main issue with RR is that people think they have to mute everyone because of potential feedback issues. If all ringers wear headphones this does not happen. If all are muted then one cannot say anything such as "another dodge 3 then go up", or "I'm lost!".

Further issues are poor broadband, people not really knowing a method and a poor sense of rhythm. Fine if folk want to learn a method that is good, but I would do my home work on Abel first and not turn up cold.

In other practices when many attend, people try to ring Maximus. Even plain hunt maximus is hard if 12-bell experience is lacking and, if the rhythm is affected by hesitations, then it is not enjoyable.

I have been to a practice and then into a breakout room but it hasn't been ideal.

Sadly, I seldom go into RR now and I wonder when I shall ring on a tower bell again.

If I could find the Chinese guy or gal who let Covid-19 out of the laboratory, I'd happily ring their neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment