Other Pages

Sunday 24 March 2024

Quakers

Today I did something for the first time. I went to a Quaker meeting [The Society of Friends].

I had walked past the Quaker meeting house earlier in the week and - as I knew I did not have a musical engagement this Sunday - I decided to give it a try. When I got home on Thursday I set about researching the Quakers online and found out what takes place at a meeting. I also looked into what they believe: it is quite embracing.

For me, some churches have become too noisy, too informal and totally lacking in reverence. What I like about the Quakers (so far) can be listed:

  • No Creed
  • No ritual
  • Meetings last exactly an hour
  • No sermon!
  • No priests - nobody is in charge (= everyone is equally in charge)
  • No chit-chat
  • No passing the peace
  • No distractions
  • Sustained focus on one thing
  • Peace (in the service)
There were only 5 of us present although there were chairs for 8. They have about 20 members. Like many churches they were hit by the pandemic and I think older people have never really got back into the habit of going out.
 
I can next go again in a fortnight. Let's see how it goes.
 
PS I just found this
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment