Other Pages

Saturday 18 July 2020

Problem Solving

I have hinted in previous posts that aspects of my life which have hitherto kept me very busy have - in recent years - started to lose their attraction.
Although I bought a digital church organ in September, since lockdown I have not played it every day: I really should. Sometimes it is a major struggle to turn it on, change my shoes, and started playing.

However, I have just done an hour or more on a new piece by Stephen Burtonwood. I hope to record this for Fagus Music soon as the piece is due to be published soon.

In many ways it was not a hard piece (the first movement is more tricky) but I spent a great deal of time on the registration: that is, the selection of stops and the ways in which one changes from one choice to another. In years gone by this would often be done by hand or with some basic playing aids. These days we are blessed with pistons and general pistons.

As usual one weighs up the possibilities and tries them out. I think I have found the solution.

It struck me as I finished, that what I enjoy in life most of all is problem solving. So, when many people rave about the music church bells create (which has never interested me) I focus on the mathematical patterns. In music I like to solve problems.

I had some very cruel mathematics teachers at school: away from the subject they were fine. I passed my 'O' level but hated maths. Later on, I did an Open University degree in maths to put this ghost to rest. More problem solving rather that mere arithmetic.


No comments:

Post a Comment