Other Pages

Sunday 18 September 2022

A Special Commemoration Service

I played for the two Special Commemoration services today at different churches in a benefice; I could have done three but I was not available.

The first was attended by about a dozen people and the singing was not very enthusiastic (I was told by my friend who came with me).

The second service had ringing beforehand (half-muffled) so I grabbed a rope: it was very well attended. Various uniform organisations were represented (British legion and the Brownies): banners and flags were presented at the start and the whole affair was dignified. The singing was lusty.

To be honest, had I got into a time machine and travelled back to the first half of the 20th century (say 1950) the atmosphere and type of person there might well have been the same. This was a sort of worship one does not see very often except, perhaps, in cathedrals

No comments:

Post a Comment