Other Pages

Thursday 29 September 2022

The truth and nothing but the truth

I have been going to church for a very long time because my parents promised my Grandparents (I don't think I have any Godparents) that they would ensure that I did. Initially I went to a Sudnay School at a Methodist church. When I became a chorister at the cathedral we - as a family - embraced the CofE and the rest is history.

If church-going drummed one thing home to my sister and I, back in the day, it was that telling the truth was absolutely vital. We were also brought up with characters such as Mrs-Do-As-You-Would-Be-Done-By as well as Biblical characters. So I get really fed up (P'd off) when people do not treat me correctly, as will be seen from previous posts.

What has prompted this post today is that on Yahoo there is a report that Liz Truss hass been criticised over ‘wildly dangerous’ false claims about £2,500 maximum energy bills.

It seems to me that we have exchanged one Prime Minister, whose view of the truth was askew from the norm, for yet another politician who does not know how to utter facts which are not wide of the mark, let's say.

I suppose going to church does not make one honest but I am sure that the decline of church-going has had a negative effect on society. We have lived for a long time in an England in which it seems OK to be 'economical with the truth'.

No comments:

Post a Comment