Other Pages

Sunday 11 September 2022

Ignored

I played at a new (to me) church today in a different benefice to normal. I have played at another church in this benefice where the people are very friendly. This, however, was a group service so there were representatives from all the churches.

Not wishing to suggest that nobody spoke to me, I was greeted by a couple of choir members and a couple of the congregation said "Hello" as I waited for coffee after the service.

However, largely I was ignored. Had I been a potential new member of the congregation I was not encouraged returned. Perhaps it was obvious that I was the organist and people concluded that I was just there to do a job. Nevertheless folk did break up into small groups and nobody really made the effort to engage me in conversation. I did try with one chap but he was having none of it.

It baffles me how one can go to church and hear the congregation praying to be made into better people and to uphold the Christian way of life: yet one is just ignored.

Something isn't right.

No comments:

Post a Comment