Other Pages

Thursday 24 November 2022

Any excuse

When I was a ringer in my youth I enjoyed quarter peals (1260 changes taking about 40 minutes). I've rung a few peals (5040 changes lasting about 3 hours). A peal is a lot of ringing to inflict on the people living close to the church.

Some ringers try to ring as many peals as possible and several have rung 3000+. It seems any excuse to ring for a long time can be conjured up.

Why would one need to mark the casting of a bell? This peal does so but it is only one of many rung by Richard Allton. He has rung 13 peals in November and 119 so far this year.

There is currently a drive to "Ring for the King" i.e. to get people to learn to ring for the coronation. Nobody seems to try to retain the ringers who do exist.

Also, when I go to meetings it is the same people who call the touches; there is no training in this respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment