Other Pages

Saturday 12 November 2022

Carol service request

I had an email yesterday asking if I would play for a carol service in December some 33 miles away from where I live. My name had been passed on by a contact.

It turns out that the benefice has a church with a single manual, 4-stop organ of great historical importance (with an equally historic pedal board) which is where the service will be held. Had the service been at another church which boasts a larger 3-manual instrument I would have agreed to go.

This may sound a bit 'rum' and uncharitable of me because the fee would have been the same. However, I only play the organ now because I enjoy doing so and to have the worry of driving 33 miles (each way) in winter to play an organ which will not cope with the sort of pre- and post-service music I like to perform was hardly going to be a pleasure for me.

Yes I could have coped but there has to be an incentive for me and the incentive is not money.

Add to this the fact that the appeal came because the regular organist had decided he was not available and I smelt a rat. Surely there are musicians nearer than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment