Other Pages

Saturday 10 September 2022

Marriage Vows

I am playing for a wedding again today although they have recorded music to go out to.

I am no longer married but it has always struck me - when times were hard for me - that it was a nonsense to oblige young people to utter the words "for better or for worse". How can young people (who think they have life experience but actually do not) make such a vow and stick to it? Many people do stick to it, of course, and find a way to manage; but the church is not being very realistic when it makes people say such words. Yes, it is a good aspiration but people change and relationships deteriorate.

Typically of the church, it dangles the notion that life will unfold in a certain way only to allow people to discover that life can be a bitch.

The marriage vows have changed a little I have noticed ('obey' was under debate even in 1983 when I tied the knot) so I shall listen today to hear what is promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment