Other Pages

Wednesday 28 September 2022

Weekday worship and The National Burial Grounds Survey

What is not generally realised by people, I feel, is that church services take place during the week between Sundays. Vicars are obliged to say the daily office and often do so by themselves.

I went out recording headstone inscripitons today and the church lights were on: there were just a couple of cars parked outside the church gate whereas, normally, there are none. I wondered if it was a meeting of some sort. I didn't need to enter the church because, pausing by the south door, I could clearly hear words which I recognised a part of the communion rite.

Eventually the vicar and an older gentleman emerged and walked up the churchyard path. I introduced myself because - although the PCC know am working on the MIs - the vicar has not actually been on touch, although he knew about it.

He thought I was part of the The National Burial Grounds Survey and wondered where my special equipment was. I said I just had a camera, paper and pencil.

The National survey will not - as far as I know - record inscriptions but what I have seen so far is pretty impressive as regards accuracy and locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment