Other Pages

Sunday 11 December 2022

Deputy work

Today I played at a church where the organist has Covid. He phoned me on Thursday asking if I could stand in, and it turned out I was available. I have played there before.

Blowing my own trumpet for a moment, I do not think there are many folk around here who could learn an anthem and a new communion setting (Rawsthorne) in 2 days and then go and sight-read a really bizarre arrangement of "Personent Hodie" which would win no prizes from me.

It was very cold too and I set off early in case I hit a problem on the road: I didn't. By the time I got home I had been out for over 3 hours and driven 36 miles (@46p/mile) so those who think a fee of £50 is steep (and this is the fee the church pays, not what I charge) may need to think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment