Other Pages

Wednesday 8 June 2022

Bell ringing - no local bands

I have been on a bellringing outing today - it is the only ringing I do now. We visited three churches.

The first church had a fair set of bells although I didn't like them. There was no local band although peals have been ring there (sooner them than me). There was a small but well-built organ although mouse droppings were causing problems internally.

The second had some lovely light bells which handled beautifully and the church itself was extremely pleasant. The organ console was extremely tidy which tells me a lot. There had been a local band as was evident from the notice board. The chap who let us in told us that some ringer or other had poached all their ringers and was getting a bad name in the area for putting off other potential ringers. Why does the church not sort this out?

Tower three was one where I had been before. The bells were rehung for the millenium or at least overhauled. They go tolerably well although one should not rush them as some of the band were apt to do. I know the organ is unplayable (and has possibly been removed) because water damage caused £50,000 worht of damage.

As I go around churches I see much the same in mnay placaes. Dust, relics from the past, a failure to tidy up and a make do and mend attitude. In other well-heeled places there is obvious care and a comfortable environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment