Other Pages

Thursday 9 June 2022

Peter not Paul

The readings last Sunday were about Peter - Saint Peter, the rock upon which the church was supposed to be built.

When I was in the 6th form at school I decided to take RE 'A' level (Divinity as it was known at my school) which caused all sorts of problems. (The lad who took it with me become a priest in the Greek Orthodox church!)

Our set books included Romans - St Paul's letter to the Romans which was, let's say, far from inspiring and, sadly, very far from inspiringly taught.

The reasons people are shying away from religion is two-fold.

  1. The God of the Old Testament is quite a jealous God who kills (smites) people
  2. The New Testament is far too full of the writings of St Paul, IMHO. No doubt he was an interesting guy but I suppose I have little time for him because he liked to lay down the law. I may be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment