Other Pages

Friday 15 July 2022

Bellringers' Outings

Bellringers like to go on outings and I join a group once a month. We visit 2 towers in the morning, have a pub lunch, and then visit 1 in the afternoon.

On Wednesday we started with a lovely ring of 6 where I have been once before. Next was an OK ring of 6 but I didn't like them as much, although they were not particularly hard work. I did not go to the 3rd tower because they are such hard work. (It turns out that it was as well I didn't go or have lunch because DHL had left me a parcel in direct sunlight and in full view of the street)

It is a sad fact that, when we visit some towers, we find evidence of past bands of ringers and a set of lovely bells: the church has no longer has a ringing band.

At other places the bells are so heavy and badly maintained that no learners would ever cope, so a band cannot be taught. It all comes down to money again.

I have noticed one thing in common with organs. IF money is sent on an organ overhaul, then it is just an overhaul and the instrument does not always become easier to play, although it will go on for longer. I have also known bells and fittings to be overhauled but then they are not actually any easier to ring and they do not sound any better.

Luckily, many organ and bell projects do yield good results and are worth the money spent. It is up to the church to ensure that they obtain value for money. Simply cleaning an organ does little real good if the action is shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment