Other Pages

Thursday 14 July 2022

Parish Magazines

In the 1970s the vicar at the church where I was first organist produced the Parish Magazine (or 'rag') on his Gestetner machine. Back then it seemed fine and would even pass muster today: photocopiers only came into use later.

As I visit churches I find all sorts of parish 'rags'. Yesterday I was ringing at somewhere near Corby and this church had a really professional publication with glossy paper and plenty of adverts but - I felt - little actual content.

One expects stories/reports from church organisations, a letter from the vicar, a list of services, Banns, Funerals, appeals and the odd photo. This example had some of those things but I felt there was too much 'white space'. It looked to have cost quite a bit to produce each copy too.

Each to his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment