Other Pages

Sunday 9 October 2022

Can a church service ever be perfect?

I doubt that one can go to church and not find a small issue with a service: perhaps just occasionally.

This morning was very close to perfect. I arrived in good time and found all the hymns (I had also looked in advance). The church was warm. I was able to set up some pistons and generals then I started to play 10 minutes before the service.

At 10am the church clock chimed: I had already stopped and we went into the first hymn. From that point onwards we followed the service book. There was no 'Show and Tell' and the sermon was very good (if a shade too long, perhaps).

I was struck by the confidence with which the choir and congregation joined in with the spoken parts of the service. At the end I played short voluntary and stayed for a coffee and a chat. These were nice people. There was no treading on egg-shells.

So often people go to church to act out a role. Some are persistently happy and expect others to be happy and jovial too.

It helped that it was a lovely day and that the church was light and spacious.

It mattered not that the organ was digital. In fact it did everything I wanted it to and I was not having to bother to avoid problem notes.

As much as I ever can I enjoyed church today.

No comments:

Post a Comment