Other Pages

Friday 7 October 2022

Trials and Tribulations

When a church pays an organist a fee this is what they are getting. Trials and Tribulations occur when a church does not realise how long the list is.

  • Many years of practice (ongoing)
  • Years of experience
  • Aural skills
  • Alertness
  • Sensitivity
  • Investment in sheet music (or PDFs on an iPad, these days)
  • Travel (vehicle maintnance)
  • Time (A 9:30 service requires me ot leave home at 8:45 and get home at about 11:30
  • Skill to deal with problems. So if an organ develops a fault - as happened to me last weekend, I made sure I could play the Wednesday funeral hymns in keys which avoided the intermittently sticking note. Unfortunately, another note was also apt to stick and so I had to revert to the keys in the hymn book or avoid both notes.
  • The ability to lead a congregation by rhythmical playing
  • Improvisation skills
  • Sight-reading skills
  • Advice (church wardens seem unaware that an organ need tuning or faults attending to. Tuning contracts are becoming a thing of the past so mosr visits are arranged by phone or email adn not by the tuner sending in and "I'm coming on..." card

I daresay I could think of more.


No comments:

Post a Comment