Other Pages

Monday 3 October 2022

Like being in school

Yesterday’s service was, for me, an object lesson in why people do not go to church.

Who wants to be stuck in a cold building for an hour whilst they are spoken to as if they are children in a classroom? I go to some churches where the aim of the hour is actually to worship, and that is what we do. However, there is one place where I play where services go like this: (I’m sure I have said this before)

  • Organ music before the service to set an atmosphere
  • Atmosphere ruined by chatty, giggly introductory notices from ‘young’ vicar
  • First hymn
  • Then another giggly section is inserted which isn’t in the service book where people ‘stick their hands up’ to say what has gone well for them in the week just gone and for which they are thankful.
  • Readings as normal and a Gradual hymn before the Gospel
  • Sermon – again a lecture/lesson explaining the Bible and not really giving practical advice about faith in modern life. This can last up to 20 minutes and takes no account of the normal adult (or child) attention span.
  • Creed
  • Intercessions – we are told what to pray for but I suppose we need guidance on this
  • After this the service does focus on the Eucharist
  • Afterwards there is a hymn
  • Just as we are about to leave – having ended the service, there are more notices before the dismissal.

When I was a teacher we were judged on whether or not our lessons had flow and momentum. Some services I attend are far too 'stop - start'.

No comments:

Post a Comment