Other Pages

Thursday 10 November 2022

Workshop project

For my birthday I asked for this swan neck light. These are designed for music desks but I play two organs where the pedal lights do not work or are missing.

Now it is odd that, really, one does not look at the pedals when one plays - or so I thought. Organsits are taught how to find notes by feeling between the gaps between the sharps. This is OK if the music is slow but, now and again, one has to rely on muscle memory.

For some reason arriving to play an organ where the pedals are in darkness is rather disconcerting. Having made several videos of myself playing my home digital organ I can confirm that I look or glance at the pedals quite often: I wasn't previously aware of this.

So I now have a light to take around with me and I needed a stand to fix it to. This morning I made one out of off-cuts of 4x1 and MDF flooring. I filled it with gravel to add weight and had a carrying handle whcih I fixed on for transportation. Here it is next to my home organ just for demonstration purposes.



No comments:

Post a Comment