Other Pages

Monday 1 August 2022

Disappointed

One problem of having church services streamed is that one can go and listen back on YouTube. Yesterday the anthem was "I will sing with the spirit" by Rutter which has an accompaniment with a busy (quaver) right hand part. I could tell that my quavers were slightly 'keen' and I occasionally got a tiny amount ahead of the choir. Not enough to make a nonsense of the music but enough for me to notice.

On the day I had thought that it was the choir which was getting behind. I still think that they were taking too long to breath and not starting the next phrase quickly enough. Also, when I was a young chorister, we were all told - in one anthem, I forget which, - that the organ had quavers and we must be aware of this when the choir had sustained chords or the flow of the quavers woukd be impeded.

It is all to do with listening and rehearsing. Sadly, the choir only has a quick practice before the servcie when there is a lot of chatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment