Other Pages

Saturday 6 August 2022

It could be tight

A request came out by email from the Organists' Association from a guy who needs a deputy for both a wedding and a Sunday service later this month. I was not able to help with the Saturday wedding as I have one at my church. I can help with the service on the following basis.

  • Service #1 starts 0930
  • I need to leave the console at 1040 to walk to the car
  • I need to drive away at 1045 - latest
  • I should arrive at church #2, 5 miles away, at 1055 which is an average of 30mph
  • Hopefully - if I let people know - the organ will be open and I may even go in and get my books ready in advance at church #2
  • Service #2 starts 1100

This all depends upon the sermon at church #1 not being too long but I am promised that the incumbent will be told to crack on. I have also said that if the service is too long the last hymn might have to be spoken or unaccompanied.

When I was a lad, I was briefly organist at 2 churches whilst I was working my notice out at the first. So I would hop on my bicycle and travel 2 miles to church #2 where the pay was better. I did have to play one hymn quite fast at the end of one of church #1's services for which I was reprimanded.


No comments:

Post a Comment