Other Pages

Saturday 27 August 2022

Late (and long) wedding

What was I saying yesterday?

Today I went to a churchyard in Cambridgshire to do some memorial recording as I had been told there were no weddings until September: this had clearly changed. At 12.05 I saw two smartly dressed people who confirmed there was 13:00 wedding. At about 12:20 the bells started to ring so I decided to go up to the ringing chamber to see if there were any inscriptions up there. I confirmed that I could ring and was invited to do so. At about 12:55 I departed but the others carried on (it was odd to ring both before and after a wedding I thought and it would take a long time out of one's day).

I descended the tower stairs but, at the bottom the door is right next to the West door which was open, and I saw and heard the vicar. He said something about "We've got some tissues somewhere". So I assumed the bride was waiting to come in and was having an tearful moment. She did not enter and the bells started up again. The poor organist was running out of pieces to play.

I hid a few steps up the spiral staircase, not wanting to spoil any photographs of the bridal party entrance. I waited. eventually I decided to see what was going on as I had a choice of two exits. There was nobody at the West door so I escaped.

The bells rang for another 15 minutes until the bridal part eventually entered at 13:15. The service finally ended at 13:55. This, to me, is annoying. What is there to do? All a bride has to do is put on a posh frock and go to church. OK, it is a special service but it is just a church service.

Why are so many brides late?

No comments:

Post a Comment