Other Pages

Monday 28 February 2022

Congregations

It is clear - moreso than ever before - that congregations are getting older and smaller in size. Most of the churches I have played at are short of cash*. I do not ask a particular fee when I play, they are free to offer me whatever honorarium they can afford. (That said, there comes a point when it is not worth my while going).

If there is a congregation of 20 and each person puts £5 into the collection that is £100 so the church takes £5200 a year as a ball park figure. You can Google to find out how a Parish Share is calculated; this pays for clergy, pensions, training and other things.

Little wonder some places do not have their organ tuned. However, I have seen many churches where they have splashed out to have kitchens, a toilet and other facilities built, so there is money about.

The situation will get harder and not easier.

*That said, one church has spent a lot on the equipment necessary to stream services now that people are staying away. Who wants to turn out to a cold church when they can watch at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment