Other Pages

Thursday 24 February 2022

Lack of cash

I am lucky in that the organ I play each month (on the 1st Sunday) has recently been thoroughly restored: that is not to say it is easy to play as it is old and requires a good deal of effort. I have also been asked to play another fine instrument on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

When I am called in to play for funerals I can be presented with challenges. So far, the organs I have played have sounded very good in that they were well-voiced. However, some things do not work and one has not been tuned since 2016 (luckily it has no reed stops and flues stay in tune pretty well). To be honest, there is no money to pay for a rebuild

With dwindling congregations and changes in the styles of worship (and music) in our churches I do not see how the organ can continue to be a part of church life and I would think - before the century is out - there will be fewer organs and organists about. Many instruments are being removed.

I will leave that thought here.

No comments:

Post a Comment