Other Pages

Sunday 27 February 2022

Two services and two long drives

I set off at 0720 to get to a church some 54 miles away for 0900 in time to prepare for a 0930 service. I arrived by 0845 despite having gone the wrong way on the M1 at Collingtree (the road signs were dreadful) but I was able to double back after 2 miles. The M1 is limited to 60mph for much of the way to Luton. I needed to leave at Junction 9 and found my way easily having 'driven' it on Google maps.

I had looked up the organ on NPOR but there were no photos and the additions of the pistons had not been recorded. So, when I arrived I found a really nice instrument with plenty of stops and a comfortable console. If anything it could do with a manual 16' or a swell suboctave, but it hasn't: so there!

The service went well and I sight-read the communion setting and anthem. I grabbed a cup of coffee and drove to the next village for the 1115 service and also managed to have one ring on a bell. The organ I expected to be there was not! It has been replaced by a rather lovely small one manual German instrument.

So, I played the same hymns at both services (plus one new one to me at the second) and heard the sermon twice. This was fine because the incumbent was excellent. She has an excellent rapport with both congregations and didn't faff about and waste time. She spoke with authority and in a strong voice, using good diction. I would have been happy to be a member of her flock had I lived locally. We must have some dodgy clergy in my area.

Lunch was at the local pub where I had a satisfying roast lunch and apple crumble.

The return journey took me through Dunstable (I had decided I'd had enough of the M1) and Woburn then up the A509.

I had offered to play on a whim having seen this advertised on Organists Online as I posted yesterday. It was a good day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment