Other Pages

Monday 22 August 2022

Reliving my youth

I enjoyed Evensong yesterday. It reminded me of my early days as a youthful organist. I still have to concentrate very hard on the pointing of the psalms. This is because

  1. When I was a chorister we used the Oxford Psalter, not the Parish Psalter
  2. As a chorister I sang mainly Evening psalms (including the whole of the 15th evening) so Morning pslams are rather unfamilar to me
  3. The chants in the Parish Psalter are not always the best

I willingly joined in with the prayers because I know them so well and they are like friends to me. I can still hear the voice of my aunt saying the General Confession and of the bass lay clerk, Mr Lloyd, saying the Creed as I stood near to him.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth: And in Iesus Christ his only Son our Lord, Who was conceived by the holy Ghost, Born of the virgin Mary, Suffered vnder Pontius Pilate, Was crucified, dead and buried. He descended into Hell, The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the holy ghost, The holy Catholic Church, The Com̄union of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, The resurrection of the body, And the life everlasting. Amen.

And we'll have none of this, 'he descended to the dead' stuff which the C of E seems to have stuck in.

No comments:

Post a Comment