Other Pages

Monday 8 August 2022

The missing hymn book

I played for two services yesterday: the last time I shall do so in the benefice.

When I arrived at church #2, I found that the organ copy of the hymn book was not there. A cupboard was located with spares and so this was not a disaster.

Later, I emailed a contact in the choir (the choir had not been at the cafe service) to say that the actual organ copy was missing. I was stunned by the reply which was:

"I think they all got swept up together and put back into the case after the wedding last week"

Hold on!

Who played the organ for the wedding? Not me: I had not even been offered it. As yet I have not had a reply to my query to this effect. I suppose the couple could have supplied their own organist. As I am not the officially appointed organist I suppose I was not due the 'bench fee' in lieu. If, however, the vicar had engaged someone else I do feel this is unfair.

I have been playing at that church for several months, for both the monthly services and they pay a fee which I have accepted but which is small in the grand scheme of things: £20 each service, on which I pay tax. Many organists would not get out of bed for that sum.

The cafe service yesterday was particulaly tedious and dragged on for a whole hour because it was taken by somebody different: the norm has been 45 minutes.

So, to have me turn up - reliably - and play for the run of the mill services and then not to offer me the perk of a wedding fee is rather unfair I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment