Other Pages

Thursday 28 July 2022

Actual Teaching

So, the sermon on Sunday was about prayer as I've mentioned.

It was given at a church where there are several lady priests so, after the service, I approached the one I thought had spoken (I cannot see the pulpit from the organ console). she told me that it was a lay reader who had spoken so I went over to congratulate her.

The thing is that this sermon was thoughfully delivered and actually - I mean actually - contained some advice which would be helpful for those wanting to get closer to God. In short, the advice was to say the Lord's Prayer every day and that it didn't matter how or where one says it. Sitting, walking, slowly, line by line, with music playing, in silence, in bed, loudly, softly, morning or evening. There were more possibilites but you get the idea.

There were some points I felt were scooted over. For example "Why do bad things happen?". "Why does the person I've been praying for for weeks, months or years still die of the illness?" was the example she used. Her answer came from a book she recommended. Sometimes the answer to prayer is God himself. I felt this was not really an answer but she was brave to address the issue.

So many sermons I've heard have simply been about telling the story of a reading over again. Useful to place it in the context of biblical times but of little practical value.

This sermon was pretty good. So, it can be done. Vicars please note.

No comments:

Post a Comment