Other Pages

Friday 22 July 2022

Big ones and small ones

What attracted me to the organ was the glorious sound of the Peterborough Cathedral organ. It is still the one I like best although several others have nearly replaced it as 'top dog'.

In the main, parish church organs (to make some sweeping generalisations)

  • are small
  • are old
  • lack brightness
  • are dirty (inside)
  • have untidy (dusty) consoles
  • have pedal boards of various kinds
  • are not positioned in the best place

It is small wonder that fewer people are taking up the organ. Those who do aspire - as I did - to play the most difficult/impressive repertoire and preside over large instruments. There are also many more ladies taking up the organ (I may have blogged on this; I forget).

There is nothing as good as hearing a huge organ being played well but the reality is that most organists will find themselves in charge of a modest example. Therein is a skill which I feel I have always had. To make the best of limited resources.

Many organs only have a pedal Bourdon 16'. My first organ teacher once said that he used to draw it as little as possible so that, when it came on, it was a real event.

Size isn't everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment