Other Pages

Saturday 2 July 2022

Just the Middle Class?

I have realised for a long time that the churches where I play the organ are attended by middle class people. I have not seen anybody who is unsure where their next meal is coming from, who might be in need of a bath or whose clothes have seen better days. This trend has been observed and written about on the web HERE and HERE

Looking back over my church attendance during the last 60 years I cannot recall having seen the less well-to-do filling the pews. (Some people may be good at hiding their financial status I suppose.)

It seems to me that - with the current cost of living crisis - those who attend church are going to start feeling the pinch. I don't have any answers but it just feels wrong that church is a place where people can congratulate each other and feel comfortable that they belong to a 'club' which is attended by folk in their own social class.

Matthew 26:11 "The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me." (NIV). I think the poor feel shunned. This brings me back to my post about not having been contacted by anyone from my nearest church. Once you leave (or if you never appear) it is a case of "out of sight, out of mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment