Other Pages

Saturday 12 March 2022

Choirs

I was a cathedral chorister in my youth and I went on to be organ scholar at a university where I trained a good choir. After university I moved near my present location and became organist at a United Reformed Church: there was a small choir of some 8 old people and my then wife 'halved the average age all by herself' (not true, but you get the idea).

Church choirs are getting fewer and further between I feel. At the two churches where I now play #1 has a few faithful souls who lead the signing (after all that's what a choir is for) and #2 has the same but with a more even mixture of men and women. I am not in charge of these choirs. I often feel that, when just 2 of them turn up it can look rather odd when they put on their robes and call themselves the choir.

I cannot see a solution to this. A good choir needs regular rehearsals and a decent repertoire. It was sad, at the URC church, to have to churn out the same, very dated anthems on a rota basis. People do not wish to be recruited into choirs these days and everyone has pressures on their time.

There is an upcoming RSCM talk on the changing face of church music. I wonder if I ought to attend. I am amused it is on April 1st!

RSCM lecture


No comments:

Post a Comment