Other Pages

Wednesday 23 March 2022

Churchyards

Readers will realise that I am an organist and bellringer so I have hung around churches for much of my life. In 2012 I took an interest in gravestones and have spent my time taking photographs of them before they erode away and the inscriptions cannot be read. What would I do if churches did not exist? (You may well ask!)

I spent a lovely afternoon yesterday at the church and nearby cemetery at Alwalton. Sadly the vast majority of the churchyard headstones had become illegible. An earlier photographer had taken some good shots of these but had not shown the whole of each headstone so I went along to try my hand.

This was a well kept churchyard: so many are not, because maintenance costs money (you see, money again!) or relies upon volunteers.

I rang a quarter peal at Alwalton in my youth (1976) but I have never played the organ or been to a service there.

No comments:

Post a Comment