Other Pages

Wednesday 2 March 2022

Hymn books

When I was young I was given a copy of the English Hymnal for my birthday: I had asked for one. My father wrote a message in the front and it is very precious to me. I have mot used the 'EH' for many years nor have I seen it used. I also have the New English Hymnal which I have used.

As a boy I also obtained a copy of Ancient and Modern (Revised) which we used at university in the 1970s-1980s.

Since then the book which has followed me about is Hymns Old and New (a green book) and now there is a revised and even larger version of that. I do not like it. Some of the arrangements are poor as is some of the language. The keys of the hymns have often been lowered because people cannot sing these days.

At the weekend I was able to use Ancient and Modern which has 2 volumes. This seemed pretty decent to me although I only looked at 4 hymns. The subtitle is 'Hymns and songs for refreshing worship'. At school (2005-2021) we used the BBC 'Songs of Praise'. In that volume "Shine, Jesus Shine" fits on 2 pages and can be open to a view. In Ancient and Modern the organist is expected to turn over for the chorus and turn back. What idiot thought of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment