Other Pages

Monday 7 March 2022

Quality tunes

There are several hymns which have what I regard as quality tunes. These include

  • All my hope of God is founded (Tune Michael)
  • Christ Triumphant, Ever Reigning (Tune Guiting Power)
  • How Shall I Sing That Majesty (Tune Coe Fen)

There are, of course, plenty of hymns with good tunes. A good tune is something one enjoys singing and which has not become banal from frequent repetition. At my last school we had a restricted diet of some 40 hymns and a few kept coming round, such as "Servant King" (which I do not care for!)

Yesterday we had "O Jesus I have promised" which I mentioned in a previous post. Whilst I much prefer it sung to Wolvercote, Hatherop Castle is not too bad especially in the brass band arrangement I found.

Sadly, hymn singing with gusto and delight is becoming quite rare these days because singing standards are falling IMHO.

Enjoy the excellent tunes while you still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment