Other Pages

Monday 21 March 2022

Language changes

The quality of diction in the UK is declining and speech is changing. I thought I had blogged about the glottal 'T' previously but I cannot seem to find it.

My post today concerns a new book of the Bible which I heard about yesterday from the vicar: it was the 'Axe of the apostles'. Now 'Acts' is perhaps not the easiest word to pronounce as it involves so many formations - A in the vocal folds,  C is air (think K) coming from the throat and  T-sss is a tongue motion away from the front teeth follows by a hiss - try it!

In the future, if people still sing hymns, the language will have changed. As a boy I learnt how to say THEE when THE was before a vowel but, these days it is often always heard as THUH.

 "Let all the world" is a hymn which involves both 'Thuh' and 'Thee' but I suspect it will only be 'Thuh' in years to come - "...THEE earth is not too low.."

No comments:

Post a Comment