Other Pages

Friday 11 March 2022

Playing the correct notes

When I started to play for services in my teens there would always be wrong notes. My organ teacher might play a single wrong note in a service which would annoy him intensely; thus it used to annoy me when I did the same. As I improved the wrong notes reduced in number and, over many years, the occasional wrong note used to annoy me less; I realised nobody is perfect.

In fact, in service playing there are factors which are far more important that the correct notes

  1. Tempo (although it is difficult to please people and I do tend to play too fast)
  2. Registration (making the organ sounds suit the words)
  3. Dynamics and balance (if there is a choir)
  4. Prompt starts - being ready, especially in commnuion services when one has to follow a long prayer and start the Sanctus, for example.
  5. Avoiding prolonged use of reeds (if you have them): avoiding too much mixture sound whilst avoiding a muddy effect from too muny 8' stops.
  6. Generally tidy and rhythmic playing which leads a congregation well.

Yes, wrong notes are to be avoided but they quickly pass and it is the overall impression which sticks with members of the congregation.

That said, when I record a video for YouTube I do get annoyed when I play wrong notes and this causes many retakes. Some I have to let go as "smudges" and sometimes I have to splice together more than one 'take'.

When I visit a new church and organ I realise that I am not going to be 100% comfortable at the console and I will make slips. But, if the 6 points above are observed, I can feel that I did a good job even if I am occasionally internally disappointed.

Listen to the organ next time you are in church. How many unintentional errors do you hear? Clearly, if the organist has failed to do any practice or is just incompetent, that can really destroy the mood of a service. If I get to that point I shall stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment