Other Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2022

O Jesus I have promised

I have agreed to play for a Cafe Service on Sunday 6th March. The request came in an email asking if I would like to become organist at a nearby church (15 miles away) where the organist has given in her notice with immediate effect: I already play once a month in another church in the Benefice. The trouble is time. My Sunday morning would potentially be as follows:

  • 0840 Leave home to get to church A
  • 0905 Set up music (ring if invited) and play before the service
  • 1040 Finish voluntary and depart for church B
  • 1100 Arrive at church B
  • 1115 Service
  • 1220 Service ends
  • 1255 Arrive home - over 4 hours from leaving.

The Cafe services 'starts' at 1050 with breakfast which would be going in as I arrive; I will have had my breakast already and it will be elevenses time.

There are only two hymns in the Cafe Service so it is a long time for me to be there and do very little: I get bored easily and - I regret to say - the religious aspect of the service means little to me. I am much more and Evensong kind of guy. I like the structure and flow of the service. I find that chatty, informal and 'modern' services leave me cold. That said I do dislike too Anglo-Catholic a style so I guess I am typically midde-of-the-road.

I may have to grit my teeth!

One of the hymns is "O Jesus I have promised" to the modern (i.e. not so modern) tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment