Other Pages

Friday 18 March 2022

What is worship? [1]

I cannot really remember a time when I did not go to church. As a boy I was sent to Sunday School although my parents were not very consistent in sending me along. Once I became a chorister and involved with church music I pratically went every week - yes, there have been gaps.

Were it not for the music I do not suppose I would go to church. I have never really been moved by or deeply involved in prayer, nor do I see the point of corporate prayer when someone else decides what one is to pray about. I do not include in this the Evensong prayers as they are more of a ritual and have a familiar pattern; like wearing a favourite cardigan.

At school we were taught that ACTS was a way of making sure worship had all the necessary elements. Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, Supplication. I suppose any god would be grateful if his/her creations participated in such activities.

The trouble I have with church is that there is too much education, history, explanation and interpretation, the last of which gets my goat, along with teh dreaded supposition. I once attended a service when the sermon giver tried to imagine what Moses looked like. It was all guess work and a waste of time.

Humans can only concentrate for so long and sermons should be short enough to make a point and only long enough to cover the essentials.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment