Other Pages

Saturday 19 March 2022

Poor choice

I was able to take the place of a bellringer at a wedding today. As we waited, the last hymn of the service was "All Things Bright and Beautiful" sung to the tune of the same name, composed by W. H. Monk.

I have to say I really dislike this hymn.

One wonders why it was chosen. Gone are the days when brides select hymns because they sang them at school: I cannot imagine this bride sang it at school. It was not selected for a love of tradition because the out-going music was not played on the organ but by a CD (I didn't hear the entrance music).

What I suspect happened was that the couple discussed the service with the vicar who said it was normal to have two hymns (because this is a church service) and they were presented with a list of common wedding hymns compiled by some well-meaning, but totally out of touch, person. Or, it could have been the BBC!

40-50 years ago it was common to have Crimond at a wedding ("The Lord's my Shepherd") because the Queen had it. "Lead us heavenly father, lead us" was another common choice.

It is about time people put more thought into wedding hymns.

(Posting again today in case I don' t have time tomorrow)


No comments:

Post a Comment