Other Pages

Wednesday 16 March 2022

Photocopies

I am amazed by the number of churches who use photocopied music. These days, when there are fewer choirs (so it seems), a communion setting is still sometimes used but the same few get trotted out and have established themselves as common currency. These include those by Dom Gregory Murray, the Thorne and Addington (Shephard) settings and a couple of others whose names escape me this morning.

When I am booked and I ask if the music is available I am told, "There is a copy on the organ" and this turns out to be a photocopy, sometimes neatly placed in a plastic covers of some sort to make a book.

At the church where I regularly play it is genuine copy although now, sadly, out of print. It has always seemed to me to be against the spirit of Christianity to break the law by photocopying music. This is done because it is known that checks are seldom made.

When I was a choister we had psalters and proper sheet music. These days I know of places where a dedicated choir service book is prepared for each service.

No comments:

Post a Comment