Other Pages

Sunday 22 May 2022

Another long drive

I am just back from playing at 2 churches over 50 miles away. Mad? Maybe, but I went first as an emergency organist and liked it so much I have been back: twice: so, including today, that's 3 visits in all.

I have discovered more about religion in these 6 services than I ever thought I would. I have never liked passing the Peace. At least today the incumbent explained why it is done. Had this been explained years ago I might have warmed to the feature: I am still with Mrs Beamish, as I said in 2020.

When I re-started this blog I wondered how I would find things to say every day. It is good to force oneself to write each day and to muster a few thoughts: that's what I tell myself anyway. I now have ammunition for a few days as I took notes on my phone.

I knew all the music today and had prepared pre- and post-service voluntaries. I am getting to know organ #1 quite well but the lower 4 notes of the pedal board on organ #2 always catch me out: I think it is because it is continental as it is not very concave and radiates in a slightly unusual way.

My 2nd organ teacher had a bee in his bonnet about organists not being able to adjust to different instruments. These days any mistakes I make are also due to the fact that I do not practise as much as in my 20s and 30s. This got me thinking about the question, "When is an organist old?" Footballers and athletes expect to retire as do ballet dancers; they go into coaching. We organists battle on as long as we can and it does us good to keep our fingers moving. However, reactions slow and fingers become less supple. (Even the brain goes because I originally put subtle rather than supple!). Some of the bum notes I play occur when I try to be too clever and change stops 'on the fly' without being 100% sure where the knobs are or how long it will take me to get my hand back to the keys.

I shall keep going as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment