Other Pages

Tuesday 17 May 2022

Clang

I blew my top. I stormed out. Enough is enough.

I used to enjoy bellringing but no longer. Bad ringing, people who handle a bell badly (despite having been told about it) and inflicting clashes on the public all frustrate me.

Last night was a case in point. A chap was asked if he had looked at Grandsire Doubles bobs and singles: he hadn't. (The last time I was there I called a touch of Plain Bob minor with all singles, which he had never properly learnt, just to make sure he did some.) He was put in a touch of Grandsire and did OK with a guide. He is a decent chap and may not find aspects ringing easy but he seems content to stay at the same level where he has been for years.

Then there is the guy who now refuses to improve his handling and striking. He rings a large bell like a small one. He could not even stay in the correct place when hunting the treble. Others, who should have learned the method just hadn't.

These days, when the church needs to protect its reputation in society, why does it allow bad ringing to continue? Whilst it is a fact that a bell practice will, by definition, result in mistakes happening this is no reason to accept a lazy approach to ringing. It is tantamount to reinforcing bad habits, bad striking, poor rhythm and an attitude of  'it's not perfect but it will do'.

Peals - don't get me started. There are certain ringers who devote all their free time to ringing as many peals as possible in as many places as possible. They are the 'Olympians' of the ringing fraternity. There is usually one guy who arranges and calls these peals for whatever reason, such as it being Friday 13th (search Peterborough Diocesan Guild on Bellboard). I've never met him. He has done little to help folk like me do more.

Every pastime needs rank and file members who are never going to reach great heights. I've recently taken up indoor bowls and I am happy just being a club player once or twice a week. The 'hair and teeth brigade' (apparently that phrase is not a 'thing' but one I've grown up with) take it oh so seriously.

I have been ringing for 50 years - aolmost to the day. may be it is time to stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment