Other Pages

Friday 13 May 2022

Have there been sermons about Halal?

This is a rant and may not be well thought out, but it is my blog.

Sermons should instruct and guide. The C of E is not known for taking a strong stance on issues such as Halal meat. Oh yes, there is plenty about whether Christians can eat it or not and the justification is usually taken from St. Paul's writings.

My gripe is that we have, in the country, the RSPCA, laws, customs and traditions whereby we do not cause unnecessary suffering to animals. The debate should not be "Is it OK for Christians to eat Halal meat?", but rather, "Should Christians object to the practice of Halal slaughter?" [Yes!]

In a typically English way, the church does not want to offend anybody and so I found little about Halal slaughter (with reference to the C of E): there is plenty to tell peope how not to offend others.

See https://www.compellingtruth.org/halal-food.html and https://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/1/309/halal-or-not-to-halal- The Tablet is an RC publication I believe. I think Catholics have thought about this issue a little more. Here is a longer article.

Halal in general makes my blood boil. I can find nothing on Christian websites about the fact that slaughter without stunning is cruel. I guess there is nothing particularly pleasant about slaughter anyway which is why so many are turning to other food philosophies such as Veganism.

Another case of "Let's avoid the difficult issues". As long as the annual church fĂȘte goes ahead OK that's that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment