Other Pages

Saturday 14 May 2022

Saturdays

  • When I was a young organist, Saturday was the day I went to practise the hymns for church the next day.
  • When I was older it was a day when I used to go bellringing, often in the afternoons if there was a  branch meeting
  • At university I would go shopping when I had eventually got up and I might even have studied in the afternoon
  • For much of my life it was the day for a late brunch, a family trip to Tescos, and lots of lesson planning for the week ahead at school
  • Often, from 1981 to 2005, I might have a wedding to play for in the summer months
  • From 2005 to about 2010 it was a school morning (boarding school) until I sacrificed my Thursday half day so give me a whole Saturday off
  • From 2015, living alone, it has been a day for household chores

Of the above I miss the practice in church with Molly and Violet doing the flowers. These days I practise at home on my digital organ: I cannot remember when I last did any serious practice on a pipe organ.

I am not feeling very energetic today. I shall not see or talk to anybody. Nobody will phone me.

I need to prepare my music for tomorrow but I shall do so without any enthusiasm.

EDIT: I have looked at tomorrow's hymns and two of them are in lower keys thna I am used to which is annoying. I could put them back into the keys which my fingers 'know' but - happily - they work OK in the new keys. Congregations can strain these days if a tune goes too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment