Other Pages

Friday 1 April 2022

Blowing

To say I am annoyed is an understatement. I have just checked my emails to find one from the PCC of the church where I play once a month. It says that, due to the rising cost of electricity, I am not allowed to use the electric blower any longer: it has been disconnected.

Luckily, the organ has retained its manual blowing handle and the PCC are in the process of putting together a rota of people to man the bellows and watch the mouse as it wavers up and down during organ use. My concern is that, although many instruments do retain their hand blowing apparatus the leather in the lower section of the bellows may have dried out and become less flexible. This could result in cracks and ultimately leaks.

No calculations have been done to ascertain how many kWh the organ actually consumes but it has been decided that all hymns which have more than 4 verses would have had to have had their extra verses omitted. As a result, it was felt that a change to manual blowing was preferable.

Over a period of time a log book will be kept and in it the titles of my post-service voluntaries will be written, together with the number of pumps required to furnish sufficient air for the performance. Should I extended fermata by too much, or draw extra stops in subsequent performances (on a whim) which I did not use in the calibration exercise, then my pay will be docked by 30p per pump.

Currently the blowers lined up are as follows

  • April 2nd A. Gale
  • May 1st G. Borborygmus
  • June 5th S. Puff

Needless to say I am looking now for a church which will allow me to play the organ as much as I like and without the need to enlist a companion with plenty of stamina.



1 comment:

  1. Like your. . . blowers. #2 could as likely have been "Flatus Eructare," but you are too refined for that, eh?

    ReplyDelete