Other Pages

Tuesday 5 April 2022

Locked Churches

When I was young (I mean 50+ years ago) it was the norm for churches to be open for visitors. Over the years it is nearly always the case that churches, even in small villages (or perhaps particularly there with few 'watchers'), will be locked: they certainly will be in towns. As a young organist I could practise on Saturdays at St. John's, Peterborough because the verger - Mr Bateman - was on duty on Saturdays.

Mr Bateman was very old in the 1970s; I guess in his 80s. He taught me a very important lesson which was not to practise with too many stops drawn. Young organists like to make plenty of noise but to those listening it is just that - noise! He once came to the console and said, "Do you have to play so loud, it goes right through me?" I also feel that some organ music is more for the pleasure of the organist that the congregation and should be saved for a recital.

I have noticed that many modern players (on YouTube) use full organ quite a lot and also the pedal 32' reeds for French music. There is nothing wrong with this but I was taught to have something in reserve. At Peterborough the 32' was quite seldom heard, so the currency was not devalued. My first organ teacher told me that he would not always use the sole pedal 16' bourdon for hymns so that, when it was drawn, it was a real event. With advancing years and organs getting older and more in need of rebuilding (i.e. stiffer action) I do find myself using Swell to Great less because 2 manuals coupled together require some effort on a few instruments.

I wonder why the organ is locked at my church given that the buiding is also generally locked. Belts and braces I suppose.

Yet another sad testament on modern society where it is common for the dubious charcters in society to prey on churches, steal the lead from rooves and throw stones at stained glass windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment