Other Pages

Sunday 17 April 2022

Chatter

I played for an Easter service today and what surprised me was that it was not too long; just an hour.

I had been asked to prepare the organ part for an anthem but illness had reduced choir numbers. So we all met half an hour before the service to run through it and see if it was viable: it was. We had the full quota of 4 hymns and this anthem during communion in addition to the Gloria, Sanctus, Benedictus and Agnus Dei. I played a new piece as a voluntary.

I also played a Buxtehude Chorale Prelude before the service and a quiet piece by Healey Willan. What I did find a little irritating was the loud chatter before the service. There seems to be no habit or tradition of quietly settling in one's pew and getting ready for the service - I was taught this as a child.

Another thing I find irritating is the way the momentum of the service is ruined at the end. It should go

  • Post communion prayer
  • Hymn
  • Blessing
  • Voluntary

Unfortunately we had notices about upcoming services and Banns after the hymn. This was an anti-climax. We had just sung "Thine be the Glory" and, surely, one wants to have the blessing and then depart: by all means chatter at the back of the church where the organist cannot hear.

I was spoilt for choice on topics to blog about today as Revd Richard Coles has spoken about his retirement. It is a good article, as far as I have got, so I will hop over and read the second half now.

No comments:

Post a Comment